What is a G Suite for Education Student Account?
A G Suite for Education (G Suite) student account allows students to access their learning within a secure online collaboration platform provided and managed by the School District. G Suite offers unlimited online file storage and is to be used for educational purposes along with other G Suite tools. These tools are accessible from any device that has access to the internet.
Google G Suite for Education provides the following digital tools:
- G Suite for Education Gmail account
- G Suite Apps: Google Drive, Docs, Sheets, Slides, Forms, etc.
- G Suite Services: Google Calendar, Meet, Classroom, etc.
- Read&Write by TextHelp extension for Google Chrome
Please visit www.sd61.bc.ca/gsuite for more information about G Suite for Education at SD61.
G Suite and Privacy
Student account information (student first and last name, grade level and last 4 digits of SD61 identification number), as well as any documents uploaded onto G Suite for Education will be disclosed and stored on secure Google servers located beyond Canada, and may be subject to the laws of foreign jurisdictions. Privacy legislation requires that we inform you of this and obtain your consent. In addition to the student account information above, a student’s G Suite for Education account may also include:
- Classroom assignments, research notes, presentations, school-based projects
- Multimedia objects created by students (e.g., videos, pictures, audio files, animations, etc)
- Assessments (e.g., teacher comments, peer feedback, surveys, etc)
- Communication with teachers and other students related to educational purposes
- Indirect collection in relation to educational purposes of using G Suite for Education (posting and collection of personal information from someone other than the individual the information is about)
More Privacy information can be viewed on this page.
Students can reset their passwords here. If students are having trouble with a password reset a member of the school staff can also reset the password.
Students from K-8
Parent consent is required for a SD61 G Suite account. Consent is granted through the Parent Connect Portal. Parents should review the status of consent items annually. This video gives a brief overview of how and why to use Parent Connect. Please speak with your child’s teacher if you have more questions about this process.
Secondary Students (Gr 9-12)
Secondary Students use Student Connect to manage their G Suite consent. They can grant or revoke consent at any time. Students transitioning between Gr. 8 and Gr. 9 will automatically have the previous year’s consent status transferred to Student Connect.
New Account Requests
Students who are new to the district, and parents of elementary students without accounts, can follow the instructions on this page to request a new G Suite for Education account.