What are the goals of the Late French Immersion Program?
The Late Immersion Program enables students to:
- achieve levels of learning in all subject areas equivalent to the English Program
- become functionally bilingual, that is: to participate comfortably in French and English conversations
- possess the requirements that would allow them to pursue further education appropriate to their abilities and interests, with French as the language of instruction
- accept employment where the working language is French
- gain insight into the common attitudes and values of French-speaking communities
Where is Late French Immersion available?
For more information on how to register for Late French Immersion please visit, Late French Immersion Registration.
|Lansdowne Middle School||1765 Lansdowne Road V8P 1A7||250-598-3336||6-8|
|Cedar Hill Middle School||3910 Cedar Hill Road V8P 3Z9||250-477-6945||6-8|
|Central Middle School||1280 Fort Street V8V 3L2||250-386-3591||6-8|
|Shoreline Middle School||2750 Shoreline Drive V9B 1M6||250-386-8367||6-8|
|Arbutus Middle School||2306 Edgelow Street V8N 1R5||250-477-1878||6-8|
How much French is used?
Note: In grade 6, 80 to 100% French is used (English may be used at the outset to establish routines. English is used only if necessary in exceptional situations after this.)
Similar programs throughout British Columbia and Canada, as well as research by a Simon Fraser University team, have shown acquisition of French is rapid and that there is no loss in achievement levels in other subject areas.