The early years from birth to age 8 sets the foundation for lifelong learning. Giving children a wide range of experiences in the early years helps children become their best physically, intellectually, socially and emotionally. For more information on early learning, go to:
Children are always curious and begin learning from the day they are born. Young children learn through play, so providing fun, play-based activities every day supports a child’s development and learning. Early experiences shape brain development which impacts lifelong health, learning and behavior.
Greater Victoria School District Early Learning Opportunities
The Greater Victoria School District is committed to providing rich, stimulating learning opportunities for young children in our community:
- Strong Start Centers in six schools
- Ready, Set Learn events in all elementary schools. The 2021 program is unavailable this year. The District website will update any changes should this program run for the 2021 school year.
- Kindergarten programs are offered in every elementary school, and some schools also offer:
There are many places in our community that also provide fun, play-based activities, such as:
- Greater Victoria Public Libraries
- local recreation centers
- fabulous parks in Victoria, Saanich, Esquimalt, Oak Bay, and View Royal
- Swan Lake Christmas Hill Nature Sanctuary