Welcome to Kindergarten!
Kindergarten is offered in all 28 of the Greater Victoria elementary schools. Kindergarten establishes a foundation for lifelong learning.
A child must be five years of age by December 31st of the school year to be eligible for enrolment.
The District welcomes all learners and wishes to guide you through the process of joining our learning community.
The first step to starting school is to register your child. Kindergarten registration begins January 23, 2023, and is offered online.
You will need one of the following:
- your child’s Birth Certificate
- Immigration Canada document
- Certificate of Citizenship or Permanent Resident Card
And two different documents that provide proof of address.
For more information on how to register for Kindergarten and Early French Immersion please click here.
Learn more about what to expect in Kindergarten. Grade 4 and 5 students share their advice and insights about starting school.
What is Kindergarten all about?
Although Kindergarten programs vary within each school, you can enjoy this video with your child to learn a little bit about a typical day at school.
- Register your child
- Check back here for details on Ready, Set, Learn opportunities at your school.
- Attend the Welcome to Kindergarten event at your new school! Once you are registered for Kindergarten you will receive an email from your school with the details about this opportunity.
- Play, play, play
- Create and Imagine
- Sing, dance, and rhyme
- Naturally practice taking turns
- Encourage independence (jackets, zipper, shoes, food, etc.)
- Adapt and be a flexible thinker
- Experiment with writing tools
- Practice fine motor strength (buttons, playdough, scissors)
- Notice letters and numbers all around (packages, signs)
- Walk to your school & enjoy time at the playground
- Kindergarten gradual entry begins
- Teachers/support staff get to know your child
What is Gradual Entry?
Our 28 elementary schools offer a gradual entry into Kindergarten.
Gradual entry into Kindergarten provides children with a smoother transition as they make the adjustment to a full day of school.
Gradual entry begins with a welcoming conversation with the Kindergarten teacher(s), followed by small periods of time at school that are built upon over the first days of Kindergarten. This process is intended to build comfort and confidence for you and your child!
The more we know and learn about your child, the better we can plan for a smooth transition. Involvement with community services and a child’s home language are examples of information that can help us prepare a personalized welcome.
You are your child’s first and most important teacher!
If you have any questions please connect with us HERE.
We look forward to meeting you and learning together!
For more about BC Kindergarten programs: