FUNDING: CAPITAL, MINOR ALTERATIONS, AND PLANT MAINTENANCE
The allowable uses of operating and capital funds are laid out in Section 2 (1) of the School Act. In order to provide a more precise definition of what items should be funded from which funding source, the following guidelines shall be used in the process of developing the annual Capital Expense Proposal (see Policy 7110).
A. Capital Projects:
Funds provided from temporary and long-term borrowings shall be used to finance the following capital expenditures:
- educational priorities for upgrading buildings and sites.
- new and additional furniture/equipment requirements.
- new Ministry of Education approved courses.
- major building reconstruction, such as:
- roof replacement
- heating plant replacement
- electrical system replacement
- to upgrade buildings to meet code requirements, such as:
- fire marshal requirements
- CBC requirements
- WCB requirements
- to improve energy conservation in schools
B. Minor Alterations:
Funds provided from the “D” section of the annual operating budget shall be used to finance minor alterations to buildings, which shall be separated from capital projects noted in “A” above (excluding A(2), A(3), A(5) and A(6) for inclusion in the operating budget of the Board. The criteria for selecting these minor alterations shall be:
- a minor alteration is calculated as one that is less than 1/4 of 1% of the replacement cost of the building or $10,000, whichever is the greater.
- no more than 1% of the replacement cost of the building or $15,000, whichever is the greater, shall be spent on any building in any year.
An annual program of minor alterations shall be prepared as part of the Capital Expense Proposal submission to the Board (see Policy 7110). This annual program should be varied only after the matter has been brought to Executive council to the Board for information.
C. Plant Maintenance:
Funds provided from the “D” section of the annual operating budget shall be used to finance the upkeep and repair of the existing physical plant and site, and to prevent the deterioration of that physical plant. This regulation shall apply to all buildings, whether owned, leased, or rented.
Greater Victoria School District
- Approved: June 28, 1982