- All teachers shall have the right to refuse to cross a legal picket line arising out of a legal strike as defined in the Labour Code of B.C. Any teacher failing to report for duty shall be considered to be absent without pay.
- Failure to cross a legal picket line encountered in carrying out School Board business shall not be grounds for disciplinary action by the Board.
- Teaching personnel, including principals, shall carry out normal daily duties as provided for in the School Act and Regulations. The Board shall not request, require or direct teaching personnel to perform work resulting from legal strikes which would normally be performed by those Board employees on strike.
- The Superintendent is directed to remind principals, each year, of the nature of their duties under the School Act, and of their responsibility to discuss annually with their staff, in a formal group setting, the duties of the classroom teacher in order that there is a definite and stated pattern of teacher responsibility, and an established pattern of teacher action which may be used as a reference point in any time of crisis.
Greater Victoria School District
- Approved: June 1980 (as 4116.01)
- Revised: June 1984 (re-numbered)