It is the responsibility of the Principal to ensure that there is an adequate screening and authorization process for the use of volunteer drivers for curricular or extra-curricular activities. In specific, the Principal is responsible to ensure that:
- The activity requiring the transportation of students is either school sponsored or approved by the Ministry of Education.
- The vehicle to be used is properly licensed and insured. Rate class 001 (Pleasure Use Only) vehicles may be used on not more than six days per month, in total, when driven to or from, or part way to or from, work or school, or for business purposes. (The Rate class is shown on the Vehicle Registration and Insurance Form.)
- The vehicle to be used will NOT carry more than eight passengers. Volunteers are not to be used for driving school buses or passenger vans carrying more than eight passengers.
- The vehicle must have a school bus designation if the seating capacity is 10 or more people and the driver must have a Class 4 license.
- A booster seat secured with a shoulder harness must be used when transporting students who are at least 18kg (40 lbs) until their 9th birthday or they reach 145 cm (4’9”) tall, whichever comes first. If a shoulder harness is not available students must be secured with a lap belt only (no booster).
- If the vehicle to be used is equipped with an air bag on the passenger side, then no student under the age of 13 shall travel in the front seat.
- The driver has a valid license for the class of vehicle driven.
- The driver has permission to drive from the owner of the vehicle.
- The driver is of responsible character, has a good driving record (re: accidents, tickets, charges), is not on medication, is not impaired (e.g. due to alcohol or drugs), and has driving experience commensurate with the trip contemplated.
- Should the transporting vehicle be driven by a student:
- the distance to be traveled is within SD61, SD62 and SD63
- the vehicle must be rated for insurance purposes at rate class 002 (To and From Work or School), or higher.
- the character of the drivers is such that they are responsible.
- The appropriate Adult Volunteer Driver Information and Authorization form (Regulation 3545.2, Attachment 1) is complete and that the original is retained by the school and a copy is given to the authorized volunteer. The Student Volunteer Driver Information and Authorization form (Regulation 3545.2, Attachment 2) is to be used for all students, regardless of age. All high school students are restricted to carrying ONE passenger regardless of the drivers’ age or license stage. A “Novice” driver must display an “N” sign.
- Ensure that all parents/guardians are notified if students will be used as volunteer drivers to transport their children, and provide a process whereby parents/guardians can direct the school that their children are not to participate in such transportation.
- All drivers must submit a criminal record check and driver’s abstract to the principal. These record checks are valid for a period of five years.
- If there is a change to the criminal record or driver’s abstract it is the responsibility of the driver to inform the Principal.
Please refer to: Regulation 3545.2(a) Field Trips (attachment) (Attachments 1 and 2)
Greater Victoria School District
- Approved: June 27, 1994
- Revised: August 1997
- Revised: April 27, 1998
- Revised: April 2006
- Revised: September 2008
- Revised: September 2011
- Revised: January 2014