Students returning to school will notice several upgrades that have been done over the summer. Multiple projects took place at schools across the District between July and August, which involved construction and technology upgrades.
The summer projects included the addition of 84 new learning spaces, portables, and improved schoolyards, along with increased digital connectivity, more tech packages and new mobile devices.
Here is a detailed list of projects that have been completed or are well underway:
- 2,800 mobile devices purchased, setup and delivered
- An additional 60 tech packages being installed in learning spaces, e.g. Libraries (classrooms were done last year)
- Increased bandwidth at schools
- Refresh of District website in time for school
- Portables are being prepared for eight schools, including three in-house portables being built for Willows and Quadra: https://www.sd61.bc.ca/news-events/community/new-portables/
- Full field replacement and sprinkler system at Margaret Jenkins
- New gym floor and bleachers at Arbutus Elementary
- Playground resurfacing at Victor School
- Roofing projects at Lambrick and Willows
- Boiler replacements at Glanford, Macaulay, and Sir James Douglas