The Board of Education Highlights provide updates and brief summaries of decisions made during the monthly Board Meetings. For more information, visit the District website to view the full agenda and videostream of the meeting: www.sd61.bc.ca/board-of-education/meetings-of-the-board/
Board Meeting Highlights – June 2023
The Board held an election for the British Columbia Public School Employers’ Association Representative. Trustee Kwan was elected by acclamation and will act as the Board’s representative until November 2023.
Chair Duncan acknowledged retiring Director of Human Resources Jim Vair and thanked him for his leadership and contributions to the District.
Operations Policy and Planning Committee
The Board approved motions to:
- Refer the new Sanctuary Schools Policy to the Policy Sub-Committee to consider new feedback that has been received; the policy will then be brought back to the September 2023 Education Policy and Directions Committee meeting
- Refer the draft policy on International Education Enrollment to the Policy Sub-Committee for further development and consultation; the policy will then be brought back to the September 2023 Education Policy and Directions Committee meeting
- Approve the 2024-2025 Capital Plan for submission to the Ministry of Education, as it relates to major capital projects and minor capital projects
- Amend and approve Policy 1161 Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy
- Refer the draft Scent Sensitive Workplace policy to Rightsholders and stakeholders for feedback; comments and recommendations will be returned by the November 2023 Operations Policy and Planning Committee meeting
Climate Change Accountability Report
The Board accepted the 2022 Climate Change Accountability Report.
Board of Education and Standing Committee Meeting Dates
The Board approved the revised 2023-2024 Board of Education and Standing Committee meeting dates. These dates will be posted on the District website calendar.
The next Board meeting will be held on Monday, September 25, 2023.