Acceptable Use Guidelines
The use of SD61 Google Apps for Education staff accounts are bound by the Employee Acceptable use of Electronic Communications Systems in School
The use of SD61 Google Apps for Education student accounts are bound by the Expectations for Students using School or District Electronic Communications Systems
(Regulation 5131.9 and Regulation 5131.9 attachment).
As as overview, these documents state that users will conduct themselves in a courteous, ethical and responsible manner while using all district technology resources, which will be extended to include the SD61 GAFE platform.
Personal account information and any created or uploaded content is hosted by Google beyond Canada therefore there are important limitations to the types of information that can be shared within the SD61 GAFE system.
Staff and students must remember that the purpose of the GAFE tools are for “educational use” and to better meet the needs of learning in a digital age. Therefore any and all steps must be taken to minimize sensitive and personally identifiable information in SD61 GAFE system.
Staff and students who are using the SD61 GAFE platform need to familiarize themselves with the uses and types of information that are both acceptable and unacceptable.
Acceptable Uses/Types of Information
- Classroom assignments, research notes, presentations, school-based projects
- Multimedia objects created by students (videos, pictures, audio files, animations, etc)
- Quizzes, tests, surveys
- Professional development materials and documents
- Summative assessments (e.g., teacher comments, peer feedback)
- Calendars for assignment dates, project deadlines, events
- Communication with teachers and other students related to educational purposes
Unacceptable Uses/Types of Information
- Avoid unnessessary personally identifiable information
- Any personally identifiable information about others who have not provided consent
- Health information and history (e.g., specialist assessments, psychology reports, IEPs)
Inappropriate or prohibited use of SD61 GAFE will be subject to the terms defined by district policy and regulations.