The following Google G Suite for Education services apply for students in grades 9 through 12:
- G Suite for Education email account
- Google Drive – unlimited storage, including docs, sheets, slides, forms, and drawing
- Google Calendar, Google Sites and Google Classroom
- Read&Write by TextHelp extension for Google Chrome
Student account information (student first and last name, grade level and last 4 digits of SD61 identification number), as well as any documents uploaded onto the Google G Suite for Education platform will be disclosed and stored on secure Google servers located beyond Canada, and may be subject to the laws of foreign jurisdictions. Privacy legislation requires that we inform you of this and obtain your consent to this arrangement.
In addition to the student account information above, a student’s G Suite for Education account may also include:
- Classroom assignments, research notes, presentations, school-based projects
- Multimedia objects created by students (e.g., videos, pictures, audio files, animations, etc)
- Assessments (e.g., teacher comments, peer feedback, surveys, etc)
- Communication with teachers and other students related to educational purposes
- Indirect collection in relation to educational purposes of using G Suite for Education (posting and collection of personal information from someone other than the individual the information is about)
***IMPORTANT*** HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS and TEACHERS: Students from grades 9-12 must self-consent EVERY school year. Every September, students in high school must renew their consent by clicking Step 4 below. Once consent has been given during September of the CURRENT school year, it is valid until September 30 of the FOLLOWING school year. (Ex: a student renews their consent on September 7, 2018, they are then eligible to use their Google account until September 30, 2019). Failing to consent by September 30 of each school year can result in interruptions to student Google account (sd61learn.ca) use.
This consent will be considered valid from the date at which it is signed until September 30, 2019 or when permission has been explicitly withdrawn.
As students, please follow the steps below to request a Google Apps for Education account with Greater Victoria School District 61:
Step 1 – Learn More about GVSD G Suite
Step 2 – Understand Privacy
Step 3 – Agree to acceptable use Guidelines