The Greater Victoria School District started preparing the operating budget for the 2018-2019 school year in the fall of 2018. Now the Board of Education must review the draft budget before final consideration.
In October, the District sought budget input from our educational partners and Parent Advisory Councils. The public will also have several opportunities to provide feedback on the 2018-2019 Budget prior to its final consideration on the evening of Wednesday, April 25th:
- Special Budget Meeting – Thursday, April 12, 2018, 7 p.m.
- Operations Policy and Planning (OPPS) Committee Meeting –Monday, April 16, 2018, 7 p.m.
- Special Budget Meeting – Wednesday, April 25, 2018, 7 p.m., or
- In writing to firstname.lastname@example.org
Budget Input Letter, October 2018:
The Greater Victoria School District started preparing the operating budget for the 2018-2019 school year. Each year, the budget for the upcoming school year starts being prepared now. We are currently in the process of collecting input from members of our learning community to understand what priorities we should be focusing on.
Due to growing student enrolment, increased investment growth and rental income, and utilities cost savings, the District saw a $3.8 million operating surplus in the 2017-2018 school year. This money was allocated to student and school supports and resources with $2.3 million being carried forward and applied to the 2018/2019 school year to help balance the budget.
For surplus allocation details please visit:
We are continuously working to improve engagement while strengthening our relationships with the community to offer all students the best possible conditions for success. As part of this, we are working to make our budget information more accessible and easier to understand. Prior to developing the budget for the next school year, we welcome your input to the following questions:
- What areas should be given priority in order to support success for all students?
- What areas do you feel progress is being made and should be continued?
- How do you feel the budget process could be improved for greater public participation and ease of understanding?
- Do you have any general comments you would like to add?
Thank you for taking the time to provide your input. A summary of the input received will be presented at the January 15, 2018 Operations Policy and Planning Committee meeting, and posted on the website. The input received will be used to guide decision making for the 2017-2018 budget process.
Please complete and return the attached questionnaire to Doreen Hegan at email@example.com, Administrative Assistant, Financial Services Department by November 22, 2017.